Friday, March 4, 2011

Find Something You Like

When it comes to losing weight, we all face the same battles:  what to eat and what kind of exercise to do. After going down this road countless times before, I knew I wanted my exercise routine to be different. I knew that I was going to have to spice it up so I wouldn't get bored. After all, they say the definition to insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

First off, I knew that I couldn't just rely on the old stand-by treadmill. Don't get me wrong, I have had great results walking the treadmill, but mine faces a blank wall in the basement and that gets real old, real fast. So early Spring 2009 I purchased a Wii console for the family which included Wii Fit. At first I used the Wii Fit game and did step aerobics, yoga, and hula hoop. It was fun and I was working up a sweat, but after a couple of weeks I needed more of a challenge. So I started investigating what else was out there for the Wii. That's when I discovered  EA Sports Active.  The game, which ain't no game, comes with the Wii DVD, strength training band, and a leg holster to hold the Wii nunchuck.

EA Sports Active has different variations of workouts that included 20 minute, 30 minute and 45 minute upper, lower, and full-body workouts. What gave me the most results was a feature called the 30-Day Challenge. Each day's workout included running, boxing, squats, lunges, and different strength training exercises like bicep curls, shoulder press, etc. What keeps the game fresh is that no two days are alike. It was fun and it was challenging. By the end of each session I would be dripping in sweat.

I started my weight-loss journey in December 2009. By May 2010 I had dropped 40 pounds. What I came to realize is  EA Sports Active had tricked my body into losing more weight than I normally would have. It was very similar to the concept of the famous P90X philosophy of muscle confusion. I also added in other exercises as well . I jumped rope, I bought a weighted hula hoop, and I started riding my bike again. They were all things I enjoyed doing. So I'm saying all this to say, when it comes to exercise, find something that you like. Next in my exercise arsenal is Zumba. I heard that's really a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment