Monday, March 21, 2011

The Only One Who Can Beat Me....Is Me!

     The only one who can beat me... is me, is a favorite quote of mine. I don't know who the author is, but  I first saw it on the signature line of a fellow Weight Watcher. For such a simple statement, it is a powerful one. When I first read it, it hit me dead in the gut because it summed up some of the missteps and things that I had left undone.
     I remember reading something about how many people are afraid of success, so they sabotage it themselves. I believe that is a true statement for a lot of people. Now we don't consciously set out to ruin our efforts, but on some level, success scares us. Take diets for example. We have all fought the good fight, lost 20 or 30 pounds and then one night over margaritas and chips, we blow it. Not that they in themselves are bad, because they're not. But we use it as an excuse to keep on drinking and eating, till we gain those pounds back and some!
     Sometimes I think it's easier for us to be mediocre. After all, we don't have to put much effort into being average. Anybody can do it, matter of fact, most people do. So when we are on the verge of a breakthrough or about to do something we have never done before, we STOP! There wasn't anything or anybody that stopped us, we did it. Stopped ourselves from becoming who we were meant to be! Stopped ourselves from experiencing the success that was meant for us!
Nelson Mandela wrote "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

No comments:

Post a Comment